Monday 3 November 2014

Highlights on my journey to a better me

I can honestly say that since I've started this journey, there has basically only been highs..and not very many lows. Even the so called lows, were often due to my own fault, putting too much pressure on myself, and then basically going a little crazy because of the stress I was creating for myself.
The change in mind set since reaching 30kg has also been quite big. Having reached such a big goal, I feel like the focus is now truly on fitness, and a huge weight (ha) has been lifted off my shoulders.
It makes me realise just how much of what we go through and how we perceive things is due to the mind set you have at the time.

With that in mind, I've had a good long think about the highlights of my journey so far. In no particular order, these are some of my top moments/achievements and the things I am the most grateful for:

  • Learning to run, from 0 to 8kms in one year is pretty epic in my eyes.
  • Realising that exercise could be enjoyed, and that I actually preferred challenging workouts 
  • The overwhelming feeling of achievement when you do something you previously couldn't even imagine attempting. 
  • Full push ups..I almost cried when I did 24 in a row at my last fitness test.
  • Tuck jumps. Anything jumping.. oh how I love the feeling. I remember doing body attack back in Jan/Feb and not being able to do these at all... nowadays when I get a bit of air with tuck jumps , I make sure to look down and appreciate that distance between me and the ground. As stupid as it sounds, it kind of feels like flying lol. 
  • Meeting the most amazing new people and forming new friendships. I've been surrounded by such positive/strong/inspirational people who I am very lucky to have in my 'corner'. :)
  • Gaining the confidence to approach new people and actually talk to them. The old me was the quiet girl in the back corner of the room, hiding from everyone, feeling embarrassed. While a bit of the shy side of me still sticks around, this is something that has improved so so much! I actually feel like I can be myself now...let that crazy side of me roam free haha
  • Learning to appreciate me for me and not constantly hating on myself.
  • The powers of thinking positively - this has changed my life, and how I approach everything. As a result I am the happiest I've ever been. 
  • I broke the junk food and binge cycle. This didn't end up being as difficult as I had imagined... just come down to gaining some control over my eating habits. 
  • No more shin splints, sore back, sore hips.. sore everything because of the extra weight I was carrying around. 
  • No more limitations on day to day activities... simple things like picking things up off the floor, driving etc...no longer uncomfortable because of the belly being in the way.
  • My wardrobe has completely emptied out and changed. I can now buy clothes that I actually like (no more maternity section yussss)
  • Fitting into size 12 dress..and size 13 skinny jeans. The feeling of excitement of reaching for the bigger pair and realising how crap it looks, and the success feeling when I can close the button on the smaller size :)
  • Plane seats.. there is room to spare now!
  • Being able to wear a dress to work and actually feel girly and feminine.
  • Every gram and every cm lost, it feels like winning lotto. 
  • Seeing my body change from one photo to the next.
  • The reduction of make up I use on a daily basis. I consider myself quite good with make up and I used to wear a lot. I feel comfortable enough in my own skin now that often I go make up free :)
  • My first horse trekking experience
  • Climbing Mt Kaukau and Colonial Knob in Wellington (these were too scary previously). Tongariro crossing in one month!!
  • Did you know you can lose weight on your feet? I went from a size 9 to an 8 in shoes. I've had to throw out all of my old pairs. (and buy heels!!!)
  • Having people approach me and seeking advice on how they can reach their own goals.. this is probably the biggest thing I will never be able to get used to. It is such a privilege!!
There we go...a pretty varied range of highlights :) Appreciate everything.

I hope now that I've set my goals a bit bigger, and broader, that I will continue to achieve lots of amazing things :) Most of them are longer term goals rather than ones that will happen in a few months, but I am in this for the long haul so time doesn't really matter anymore!!

Thanks for reading (here and on facebook), your guys encouragement and interactions mean a lot to me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment